Tuesday 24 April 2012

A Walk in the Woods


I joined the Tuesday walkers at the RSPB at Sandy for their regular Tuesday walk this morning. I hesitated as it was raining when I left but as soon as we set out at 9.30 the rain stopped and although the sun didn't come out it stayed dry for most of the 2 hour ramble. We saw a large number of birds starting with a sky full of sky larks with their trilling song and frantic wing flapping. I'm used to hearing and seeing one at a time, this morning there were lots of them. Lots also of linnets and sand martins. Individual goldcrest, nuthatch, kestral and buzzard. The usual blue and great tits and the unusual long tailed tits. The beautiful song of the mistle thrush alerted us and after lots of looking in the trees with binoculars we eventually spotted him, really high up and bigger than I expected.

It was a lovely morning, the highlights have to be the skylarks and seeing a goldcrest. What will next weeks walk bring?

While I was out I took a few pictures for the 112 for 2012 challenge. I'm going to have a go at this even though it will mean taking my camera everywhere. I like the idea of having a focus for my photography. So the pictures to go with this blog are not of birds - I'm not good enough, but of #50 Yellow and #8 Gateway, I might not choose these for the final 112, I was eyeing up fields of rape on the way home, that is so yellow! but that's a start of 2 for the 112!

No comments:

Post a Comment