Sunday, 14 February 2016

Housey, Housey

I've had this quilt idea in my head for a while. I really fancied lots of little houses and was desperate to use up some of my stash of fabric bits and pieces.

I used this pattern, a simple little house on an eight inch block, just the job.  I did have to make a couple of adjustments. The door/ window /house section comes out wider than 61/2" and also I didn't do the roof in two sections, I just cut 1 piece 21/2" by 6 1/2".

I'm really happy with the block and have worked out that I need 88 of them to create the quilt. I've made 8. So a long way to go then.

Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Aubusson Cardigan

I thought the dress I made, see previous post, needed a cardi. I saw this in the Knitter Magazine issue 92.  I did change it so it doesn't look much like the original, but I'm happy with it. The Drops Air and Big Delight yarns were lovely to work with and the Air is beautifully soft.

The sleeves have been changed form the original pattern to full length and the pattern at the cuff end rather than at the top.

It's just waiting for buttons, I always struggle with finding the right buttons.

Sunday, 7 February 2016

Double Fen

Fen Dress by Fancy Tiger Crafts

I had to have this pattern as soon as a I saw it, I loved the casual look of it and that it would be lovely in many different fabrics.

The first one sadly is only wearable with a T shirt under it as the neckline is too wide, having said that I have worn it quite a lot, it's comfy and easy to wear and at this time of year a T shirt is no bad thing.

I did follow the pattern to the letter including the dropped hem the back, it was so easy to put together (especially if you read the pattern carefully) I like the pocket detail and the soft gathers at the front and back are good on me. It doesn't look very good on the hanger though. I know I should model them but I'm settled on the sofa watching the rugby. 

This is the second one, both the pattern and this linen cotton blend fabric are from Backstitch. This time I closed up the neck by redrafting the pattern at the neckline. I made the straight hem option as I wasn't really happy with the dropped hem. I'm very happy with this one. The gathers could have been a bit more even and I'm thinking that next time I'll make the skirt a little wider and put some pleats in the front between the pockets.

Love these pockets. Also added three little buttons as an embellishment on the neck. If I remember correctly these came on a dress label from White Stuff. 
I think I'll get lots of wear out of this one, so much so that I'm knitting a cardigan to go with it. It's almost done.

One of the most exciting things about this second Fen dress is that I used my newly purchased Juki overlocker to finish the seams. Yay!